Aotearoa is often translated as "the land of the long white cloud" which is the Moari name for New Zealand. I am from New Zealand, born and bred, my family moved to Australia after I finished High School (from what I can remember of the move), in my young adult age, I was extremely blessed to meet a handsome Aussie bloke whom I ended up marrying and together we are raising three rambunctious Americans. Our family is multicultural but my roots lie with New Zealand. That will forever be my home (second home), my first will always be with my family! This post is from a personal perspective brought on by the fact that back home, New Zealand is hosting this years Rugby World Cup and I am missing out on the atmosphere the games bring, especially to us 'Kiwi's' being able to host it, right in our backyard. I admit that being a girl I wasn't really into Rugby myself but I remember when I was little and all the family gathered together to watch the games. Actually, I'll correct myself, we would watch my dad and his brothers (my uncles) watch the games, while the ladies would talk amongst themselves or be in kitchen cooking while the kids, would be outside playing. I really enjoyed those times! Kurt enjoys the game and played in his younger years (he is still young) or would often go watch and support family and friends who played. I do know that he has a love for the Australian Sport AFL! Go the Swans! I remember once when we were watching a BYU Rugby match and Kurt was right there on the sidelines yelling at the players or ref because of some call or some play! I would tell you what words were said but for those who know my husband, you will understand! That there tells me, that my husband has a love for Rugby.
I guess what I'm trying to explain is since moving here to Utah and being here for the past 5+ years my love for Rugby has really grown because it is the heart and soul (among others) of Kiwis. I miss not being there amongst family to watch the games together. I would love to take Kurt to an actual game. Although it would have to be a game between Australia and New Zealand to make it worth the money. I miss not watching my fathers joy for the game and his reactions. It pulls at my heart strings every time I watch, read or see anything relating to New Zealand. Just this morning I was all choked up watching parts of the Opening Ceremony for the RWC. I have a passion and love for my home country and hope that I can continue to share that passion with our children.
I will tell you however that since being married to an Aussie I have a fondness for Australia. I actually do not mind weather New Zealand wins or Australia wins (when it comes to all things sports) well I lie, I hope New Zealand wins but am not disappointed if Australia takes it this year. Because at least one of us is happy in the home! Our children will also come to learn and share a love of Kurt's homeland as he so valiantly does himself. We will continue to share and teach them what we know about our homes and when they are old enough to understand, we want to show them. They have been back to both countries before. It doesn't matter where we end up when we finish our journey here in Utah because where ever we do go we will make it our home. That being said if we were to end up either living back in Australia or New Zealand. I know it's soppy but it's the truth! We love our fellow countries and couldn't be more proud to be both a true Kiwi and an Aussie! Good luck to the Wallabies and All Blacks!
No comments:
Post a Comment